Polnocny classes are the largest series of landing ships in service with any navy.
They were designed in Poland, in cooperation with the Soviet Navy and were built
in Poland between 1967 and 2002. These ships were in service with the Navies of
USSR, Vietnam, Egypt, Algeria, Libya, Yemen, Ethiopia, Cuba, Syria and Bulgaria.
Polnocny LSM (medium landing ship) series consists of three principal variants,
with the design being enlarged and improved during the construction period. The
Polnocny-class ships are classified as medium landing ships in the Russian Navy,
and are loosely equivalent to Western tank landing ships. They are equipped with
a bow ramp that allows beach landings. The Polnocny-A version can carry 9 ZIS-151
military trucks or 19 GAZ-69, or 5 Main Battle Tanks, or 140-180 Infantry Soldiers
with their weapons. Unlike their Western counterparts, these ships can provide
substantial fire support for landed troops with their onboard multiple rocket
launchers. Other armament consists of anti-aircraft guns and short-range surface-to-air
Medium Landing Ship SDK-34 laid down on 01 April 1965 at
the Stocznia Polnocna Shipyard, Gdansk, Poland (yard No.770MA/24), launched on
14 October 1965, commissioned on 31 March 1966 and assigned to the Baltic Fleet.
the ship was transferred to the Black Sea Fleet, and later - to the Caspian Flotilla.
From 1992 - MDK-34.
On 19 March 1992 the ship was excluded from the lists
of the Caspian Flotilla and scrapped.
| Displacement (tons):|
nmi (16 knots), 1000 nmi (18 knots)|
hp 40D diesels, 2 fixed pitch propellers, 4x52 kW diesel generators |
|Armament:||1x2 30 mm AK-230
– MR-104 Rys fire control system |
2x18 140 mm WM-18 rocket launchers – 180
Donets navigation radar, Khrom-K IFF |
units (T-54A, T-34-85, PT-76 tanks or ZSU-57-2, BTR-60P) or 4 Type IS-2 tanks
or 9 ZIS-151 military trucks or 19 GAZ-69|