Gnevny class were a group of 29 destroyers built for the Soviet Navy in the late
1930s. They are sometimes known as the Gremyashchiy class and the official Soviet
designation was Project 7. These ships fought in World War II.
had an overall length of 112.8 meters, a beam of 10.2 meters, and a draft of 4.8
meters at deep load. The ships were significantly overweight, almost 200 metric
tons heavier than designed, displacing 1612 metric tons at standard load and 2039
metric tons at deep load. Their crew numbered 197 officers and sailors in peacetime
and 236 in wartime.
The ships were powered by two geared steam turbine sets,
each driving a single three-bladed 3.18-meter propeller using steam provided by
three water-tube boilers. The turbines, rated at 48,000 shp (36,000 kW), were
intended to give the ships a speed of 37 knots.
The Gnevny-class ships mounted
four 130-millimeter B-13 guns in two pairs of superfiring single mounts fore and
aft of the superstructure. Each gun was provided with 150 rounds. The manually
operated mounts had an elevation range between -5° to +45° and had a rate
of fire of 6-10 rounds per minute. They fired a 33.4-kilogram shell at a muzzle
velocity of 870 m/s, which gave them a range of 25,597 meters. Anti-aircraft defense
was provided by two 55-caliber 76.2-millimeter 34-K AA guns and two 46-caliber
45-millimeter 21-K AA guns, all in single mounts as well as a pair of 12.7-millimeter
DK or DShK machine guns. The ships were equipped with six 533 mm torpedo tubes
in two rotating triple mounts amidships; each tube was provided with a reload.
The ships could also carry a maximum of either 60 or 95 mines and 25 depth charges.
Destroyer Bezuprechny laid down on 23 August 1936 at the Shipyard named
after 61 kommunara, Nikolaev (yard No.1069), launched on 25 June 1937, commissioned
on 02 October 1939 and was assigned to the Black Sea Fleet.
On 23-25 June
1941 Bezuprechny laid 291 defensive mines off Sevastopol. On 9 July, the 2nd Destroyer
Division, including the destroyer leader Kharkov, Bezuprechny and her sister ships
Bodry, Boyky and Besposhchadny made an unsuccessful attempt to interdict Axis
shipping near Fidonisi. On 1417 August, Bezuprechny escorted the incomplete
ships being evacuated from the shipyards at Nikolayev. She bombarded Axis positions
with 52 shells from her 130 mm guns on 19 August. The destroyer helped to escort
transports ferrying the 157th Rifle Division to Odessa on 1621 September.
Bezuprechny landed a company of naval infantry at Grigorievka on 22 September.
While providing fire support during the operation, the ship was attacked by Junkers
Ju 87 Stuka dive bombers of StG 77. Although she was not hit, splinters from numerous
near misses knocked out her power and Besposhchadny had to tow her to Odessa for
emergency repairs. On 28 September the destroyer Shaumyan towed her to Sevastopol
for temporary repairs.
Between 25 December and 2 January 1942, Bezuprechny
fired 304 shells from her main guns and she continued these types of missions
through March. The ship was refitted in May and, together with the light cruiser
Molotov, bombarded Axis positions surrounding Sevastopol with 240 shells on 16
June. Bezuprechny was loaded with 320 soldiers of the 142nd Rifle Brigade, 20
tons of ammunition, 15 tons of food and 2 tons of aircraft equipment, bound for
Sevastopol, when 26 June 1942 she was attacked and sunk by dive bombers from II./StG
77. Rescue efforts by the destroyer leader Tashkent were unsuccessful as she was
driven off by more aerial attacks. Only 3 survivors were rescued the following
day by the submarines M-112 and M-118; all of the soldiers and approximately 300
crewmen were lost.
| Displacement (tons):|
2640 nmi (20 knots)|
|Propulsion:||2 geared steam
turbines, 48,000 shp (36,000 kW), 3 water-tube boilers, 2 shafts|
4x1 130-mm guns
2x1 76,2-mm AA guns
2x1 45-mm AA guns
2x1 12,7-mm AA machineguns
533 mm torpedo tubes
25 depth charges
(15 officers, 44 warrant officers) |