Gnevny class were a group of 29 destroyers built for the Soviet Navy in the late
1930s. They are sometimes known as the Gremyashchiy class and the official Soviet
designation was Project 7. These ships fought in World War II.
had an overall length of 112.8 meters, a beam of 10.2 meters, and a draft of 4.8
meters at deep load. The ships were significantly overweight, almost 200 metric
tons heavier than designed, displacing 1612 metric tons at standard load and 2039
metric tons at deep load. Their crew numbered 197 officers and sailors in peacetime
and 236 in wartime.
The ships were powered by two geared steam turbine sets,
each driving a single three-bladed 3.18-meter propeller using steam provided by
three water-tube boilers. The turbines, rated at 48,000 shp (36,000 kW), were
intended to give the ships a speed of 37 knots.
The Gnevny-class ships mounted
four 130-millimeter B-13 guns in two pairs of superfiring single mounts fore and
aft of the superstructure. Each gun was provided with 150 rounds. The manually
operated mounts had an elevation range between -5° to +45° and had a rate
of fire of 6-10 rounds per minute. They fired a 33.4-kilogram shell at a muzzle
velocity of 870 m/s, which gave them a range of 25,597 meters. Anti-aircraft defense
was provided by two 55-caliber 76.2-millimeter 34-K AA guns and two 46-caliber
45-millimeter 21-K AA guns, all in single mounts as well as a pair of 12.7-millimeter
DK or DShK machine guns. The ships were equipped with six 533 mm torpedo tubes
in two rotating triple mounts amidships; each tube was provided with a reload.
The ships could also carry a maximum of either 60 or 95 mines and 25 depth charges.
Destroyer Bodry laid down on 31 December 1935 at the Shipyard named after
61 kommunara, Nikolaev (yard No.314), launched on 01 August 1936, commissioned
on 06 November 1938 and was assigned to the Black Sea Fleet.
She spent much
of the next year under repair, refitting from June 1939 to April 1940 at Shipyard
No. 198 and again in August-October at Shipyard No. 201 in Sevastopol. The destroyer
visited the Romanian port of Constanca in June 1940. When the Germans invaded
the Soviet Union on 22 June 1941, the ship was assigned to the 2nd Destroyer Division
of the Black Sea Fleet with her sisters built for the Black Sea Fleet and the
destroyer leader Tashkent. On that day, she was in Sevastopol having her boilers
cleaned. On 9 July, the 2nd Destroyer Division, including the destroyer leader
Kharkov, Bodry and her sister ships Besposhchadny, Boyky and Bezuprechny, made
an unsuccessful attempt to interdict Axis shipping near Fidonisi. On 19-20 July,
the light cruiser Komintern, Kharkov, Bodry and the destroyers Smyshleny and Shaumyan
and numerous smaller craft, covered the retreat of the Danube Flotilla to Odessa.
While bombarding Axis positions on 19, 26-27 August and 9-13 September, she was
lightly damaged by an Axis shell on 9 September. The ship also ferried supplies
to Odessa and escorted the transports conveying the 157th Rifle Division from
Novorossiysk to Odessa on 16-21 September. Two weeks later, Bodry helped to escort
the ships evacuating the division from Odessa to Sevastopol on 3-6 October. In
preparation for the evacuation of Odessa, she laid 48 mines on 14 October, bombarded
Axis troops the following day and helped to evacuate the city's defenders on the
While providing naval gunfire support to Soviet troops on 31 October,
Bodry was attacked by Junkers Ju 87 "Stuka" dive bombers from StG 77.
While not directly hit, near misses peppered her with fragments, killing 4 crewmen
and wounding 49. The ship was sent to Poti, Georgia, for repairs on 3 November
which were completed on the 17th. Bodry helped to transport the 388th Rifle Division
from Novorossiysk to Sevastopol on 7-13 December. On 21 December, she ferried
340 soldiers, six anti-tank guns and 35 t (34.4 long tons) of ammunition to Sevastopol.
After her arrival, the ship bombarded German troops near the city with 298 shells
from her main guns on 21-22 December. On 29-30 December, Bodry escorted reinforcements
during the Battle of the Kerch Peninsula.
On 12 January 1942, the destroyer
escorted the battleship Parizhskaya Kommuna as she bombarded targets near Stary
Krym while contributing 86 shells of her own. She expended 88 main-gun shells
on targets near Feodosia on 21 January. The ship received a brief refit at Tuapse
from 28 January to 2 February. The ship was under repair at Poti from February
until she was badly damaged by German bombers on 16 July. Bodry was struck by
three bombs that blew the aft torpedo tube mount and rangefinder over the side
and cracked her keel. Badly flooded, she was dry docked for repairs, but her stern
broke off when the water was pumped out. The ship was under repair until 31 December
1944. During the war she fired a total of 1332 shells from her main guns and laid
Bodry had her Lend-Lease electronics replaced by Soviet systems
after the war and was modernized from 1951 to 31 December 1953. She was reclassified
as a target ship on 17 February 1956 and renamed TsL-3. The ship then became a
stationary training ship on 13 October 1959 and was renamed UTS-8. 09 February
1962 reclassified to a floating target and landed on a coastal bank near the Tendra
| Displacement (tons):|
2640 nmi (20 knots)|
|Propulsion:||2 geared steam
turbines, 48,000 shp (36,000 kW), 3 water-tube boilers, 2 shafts|
4x1 130-mm guns
2x1 76,2-mm AA guns
2x1 45-mm AA guns
2x1 12,7-mm AA machineguns
533 mm torpedo tubes
25 depth charges
(15 officers, 44 warrant officers) |