Black Sea Fleet

History

Warships

Photoalbum

Command

Russian version

About site

Feedback

 
Black Sea Fleet Warships Photos in Hi-Res
 
   
 
Black Sea Fleet : Information Resource
 
 
KCHF.RU - Information Resource
 
 
   
 
All Ships
Black Sea Fleet: All Ships

Destroyers

 

 
 
 
     
 
 
 
 
Destroyer Bystry
Project 7 / Gnevny Class
 

The Gnevny class were a group of 29 destroyers built for the Soviet Navy in the late 1930s. They are sometimes known as the Gremyashchiy class and the official Soviet designation was Project 7. These ships fought in World War II.

The Gnevnys had an overall length of 112.8 meters, a beam of 10.2 meters, and a draft of 4.8 meters at deep load. The ships were significantly overweight, almost 200 metric tons heavier than designed, displacing 1612 metric tons at standard load and 2039 metric tons at deep load. Their crew numbered 197 officers and sailors in peacetime and 236 in wartime.

The ships were powered by two geared steam turbine sets, each driving a single three-bladed 3.18-meter propeller using steam provided by three water-tube boilers. The turbines, rated at 48,000 shp (36,000 kW), were intended to give the ships a speed of 37 knots.

The Gnevny-class ships mounted four 130-millimeter B-13 guns in two pairs of superfiring single mounts fore and aft of the superstructure. Each gun was provided with 150 rounds. The manually operated mounts had an elevation range between -5° to +45° and had a rate of fire of 6-10 rounds per minute. They fired a 33.4-kilogram shell at a muzzle velocity of 870 m/s, which gave them a range of 25,597 meters. Anti-aircraft defense was provided by two 55-caliber 76.2-millimeter 34-K AA guns and two 46-caliber 45-millimeter 21-K AA guns, all in single mounts as well as a pair of 12.7-millimeter DK or DShK machine guns. The ships were equipped with six 533 mm torpedo tubes in two rotating triple mounts amidships; each tube was provided with a reload. The ships could also carry a maximum of either 60 or 95 mines and 25 depth charges.

Destroyer Bystry laid down on 17 April 1936 at the Shipyard named after 61 kommunara, Nikolaev (yard No.320), launched on 05 November 1936, commissioned on 07 March 1939 and was assigned to the Black Sea Fleet.

Began on 22 June 1941, Bystry was assigned to the 2nd Destroyer Division and was awaiting a scheduled refit in Sevastopol. On 1 July 1941, she departed for Nikolayev for further work, but struck a mine while leaving Sevastopol, killing 24 and wounding 81 crewmen. The explosion flooded the forward half of the ship as well as the boiler rooms and her bow grounded in shallow water.

Bystry was refloated on 13 July and drydocked the following day for repairs. She was in very poor condition and her hull was patched to move her out of the drydock pending a final decision on whether to repair her. The ship was struck by several bombs during a German airstrike in September and sank. Her guns were removed 20 November - 15 December and used to reinforce the coastal defenses of Sevastopol. Her bow was later salvaged to repair her sister Besposhchadny.

Specifications
Displacement (tons):
Standard:1612
Full load:2039
Dimensions (m):
Length:112,8
Beam:10,2
Draft:4,8
Speed (knots):38,3
Range: 2640 nmi (20 knots)
Autonomy (days):10
Propulsion:2 geared steam turbines, 48,000 shp (36,000 kW), 3 water-tube boilers, 2 shafts
Armament:

4x1 130-mm guns
2x1 76,2-mm AA guns
2x1 45-mm AA guns
2x1 12,7-mm AA machineguns
2x3 533 mm torpedo tubes
60-95 mines
25 depth charges

Complement:197 (15 officers, 44 warrant officers)

 

 
       
Top.Mail.Ru
© KCHF.RU, 2001-2021