The Uragan-class guard ships (light frigates) were built for the
Soviet Navy as small patrol and escort ships. Eighteen were built in the 1930s
and served during World War II in all four of the Soviet Fleets: Baltic, Black
Sea, Northern and Pacific. The official Soviet designation was Project 2, but
they were nicknamed the "Bad Weather Flotilla" by Soviet sailors by
virtue of their meteorological names.
The Uragan-class ships displaced
457 tonnesat standard load and 633 tonnes at full load. The ships had 14 main
watertight compartments and a double bottom only underneath the machinery and
boiler rooms. The power plant was two three-drum watertube boilers and two geared
turbines, each driving one shaft. Two single 102 mm guns were carried in open
pivot mounts as the ship's main armament. A triple 450 mm torpedo tube mount was
fitted between the funnels. Up to fifty mines or depth charges could be carried
using mine rails mounted on the main deck. By the mid-1930s two semi-automatic
45 mm anti-aircraft gun (21-K) and 12.7 mm DShK AA machine guns were being fitted.
Most ships in European waters received two single mounts for the fully automatic
37 mm AA guns.
Frigate Shtorm laid down 24 October 1927 at the Nikolaev
Shipyard (yard No.186), launched 04 April 1930, commissioned 01 October 1932 and
was assigned to the Black Sea Fleet.
The ship took an active part in the
Second World War as part of the Black Sea Fleet.
On May 11, 1943, the ship
was torpedoed by an acoustic torpedo from the German U-9 submarine. As a result
of the explosion, the stern was torn off at the ship. The ship remained afloat
and was towed to the port of Batumi. Ship repair took a long time.
Shtorm was decommissioned and excluded from the lists of the Black Sea Fleet on
30 January 1946.
| Displacement (tons):|
nmi (14 knots)|
|Propulsion:||4620 hp, 2 shafts|
|Armament:||2x1 102-mm guns|
3x1 37-mm AA guns
1x2 12,7-mm machine guns
1x3 450-mm torpedo
54 depth charges