Black Sea Fleet

History

Warships

Photoalbum

Command

Russian version

About site

Feedback

 
Black Sea Fleet Warships Photos in Hi-Res
 
   
 
Black Sea Fleet : Information Resource
 
 
KCHF.RU - Information Resource
 
 
     
 
All Ships
Black Sea Fleet: All Ships

Large ASW Destroyers

 

 
 
 
         
      Large ASW Destroyer "Krasny Krym"
Project 61 / Kashin class
 
 
 
"Krasny Krym" - Kashin class
 
"Krasny Krym" - Kashin class
Project 61 / Kashin class
 
 

The Kashin class ship was designed to fulfill a variety of roles including anti-air and antisubmarine operations to defend task forces from submarines, low-flying aircraft, and cruise missiles. The ship’s hull is divided into separate compartments by 13 main watertight bulkheads, that extent to the upper deck. These bulkheads ensure that buoyancy remains stable if any three adjacent compartments are flooded. The Kashin class was commissioned in 1962, and was the first class of warship to be equipped with gas turbines. The Kashin’s four gas-outlet pipes allow the gas turbines to be replaced through their access holes. It has a top speed of 37 knots.

These ships were redesignated many times. They were originally designed as guard ships (storozhevoy korabl` - SKR). But on 19 May 1966 they were reclassified as large anti-submarine ships (bol`shoy protivolodochny korabl`- BPK). On Jan 1992 the remaining unmodified ships that were still in service at this time, were redesignated guard ship (SKR).

The Russian Navy had ordered industries to produce 20 ships. 15 of them were laid down at 61 Kommunar (Nikolayev) Yard, 5 were laid down at Zhdanov Yard, Leningrad. The 20th ship was completed as an advanced project 61M. 5 other ships of project 61 were upgraded to similar project 61MP after some years of service. The modernizations included - installation of 4 launchers for SSM, new sonar "Platina" and replacement of the 2 RBU 1000 with 4 x 30mm AK 630. Also, special for Indian Navy was designed project 61ME (5 ships).

Large ASW Destroyer "Krasny Krym": laid down 23.02.1968, 09.02.1970 is enlisted in the lists of the Soviet Naval ships, launched 15.10.1970, and 20.10.1970 is switched on in structure of the Black Sea Fleet. Since 30.06.1970 carried a Guards Naval flag inherited from the same cruiser of the Black Sea Fleet.

15-19.05.1971 and 01-29.02.1972, were in a zone of military actions, carried out a battle task on rendering assistance to the armed forces of Egypt.

03-07.07.1975 - visit in Toulon (France);
14-19.10.1976 - in Split (Yugoslavia);
05-09.08.1977 - in Constance (Romania);
12-16.08.1985 - in Tunis;
11-14.06.1990 - in Tarano (Italy).

In the period since 06.10.1978 for 28.08.1983 ship has repair in Sevastopol. 01.06.1992 was Is classified as SKR (Storozhevoy Korabl` - Guard Ship, or Frigate).

24.06.1993 is disarmed, and 11.02.1994 was excluded from structure of fleet. In 1996 is sold to private Indian firm for scrap on metal.

Specifications
Builder: 61 Kommunara SY 445, Nikolayev, Ukraine
Year: 1968
Displacement: 4,460 tons full load
Speed: 39 knots
Dimensions: 146.2 x 15.8 x 4.84 meters / 479.6 x 51.8 x 15.8 feet
Propulsion: 4 M8E gas turbines, 2 shafts, 72,000 shp
Crew: 266
Missiles: 2 Volna-M SAM systems (32 V-601/SA-N-1 Goa SAM)
Guns: 2 x 2 76.2mm/59cal DP AK-726
Aviation: Aft helicopter deck and hangar; no helicopter normally assigned
Ect. armament: 1x5 21 inch torpedo tubes
2 RBU-1000 ASW RL + 2 RBU-6000 ASW RL
 
             
Top.Mail.Ru
© KCHF.RU, 2001-2021