The Kashin class ship was designed to fulfill a variety of roles including anti-air and antisubmarine operations to defend task forces from submarines, low-flying aircraft, and cruise missiles. The ship’s hull is divided into separate compartments by 13 main watertight bulkheads, that extent to the upper deck. These bulkheads ensure that buoyancy remains stable if any three adjacent compartments are flooded. The Kashin class was commissioned in 1962, and was the first class of warship to be equipped with gas turbines. The Kashin’s four gas-outlet pipes allow the gas turbines to be replaced through their access holes. It has a top speed of 37 knots.
These ships were redesignated many times. They were originally designed as guard ships (storozhevoy korabl` - SKR). But on 19 May 1966 they were reclassified as large anti-submarine ships (bol`shoy protivolodochny korabl`- BPK). On Jan 1992 the remaining unmodified ships that were still in service at this time, were redesignated guard ship (SKR).
The Russian Navy had ordered industries to produce 20 ships. 15 of them were laid down at 61 Kommunar (Nikolayev) Yard, 5 were laid down at Zhdanov Yard, Leningrad. The 20th ship was completed as an advanced project 61M. 5 other ships of project 61 were upgraded to similar project 61MP after some years of service. The modernizations included - installation of 4 launchers for SSM, new sonar "Platina" and replacement of the 2 RBU-1000 with 4 x 30mm AK-630. Also, special for Indian Navy was designed project 61ME (5 ships).
Large ASW Destroyer "Provorny": laid down 10.02.1961 and 23.03.1962 is enlisted in the lists of the Soviet Naval ships. Launched 21.04.1962, commissioned 25.12.1964 and 22.1.1965 is switched on in structure of the Black Sea Fleet.
01-31.06.1967, 01.01-31.12.1968 and 05-24.10.1973, were in a zone of military actions, carried out a battletask on rendering assistance to the armed forces of Egypt and Syria.
02-07.07.1973 - visit to Marseilles (France).
In the period since 23.03.1974 for 03.04.1975 is modernized on Sevmorzavod in Sevastopol (trial ship for the new weapon - installation SAM "Shtil`") and 05.11.1976 is referred to the project 61Eh, and in the period since 01.02.1977 for 20.11.1978 and since 01.04.1987 for 21.03.1988 ship has passed repair.
21.08.1990 is disarmed, is excluded from structure of Naval Fleet for dismantle and realization and 31.12.1990 is disbanded. In February, 1993 is cut on metal in Inkerman, Sevastopol.
| Specifications |
|Builder: ||61 Kommunara SY 445, Nikolayev, Ukraine |
|Year: ||1961 |
|Displacement: ||4,898 tons full load |
|Speed: ||33,6 knots |
|Dimensions: || 146.2 x 15.8 x 4.84 meters / 479.6 x 51.8 x 15.8 feet |
|Propulsion: ||4 M8E gas turbines, 2 shafts, 72,000 shp |
|Crew: ||266 |
|Missiles: || 1 Volna-M SAM systems |
1 Shtil` SAM systems (after modernization)
|Guns: ||2 x 2 76.2mm/59cal DP AK-726 |
|Aviation: ||Aft helicopter deck and hangar; no helicopter normally assigned |
|Ect. armament: ||1x5 21 inch torpedo tubes |
2 RBU-6000 ASW RL + 2 RBU-1000 ASW RL