The Kashin class ship was designed to fulfill a variety of roles including anti-air and antisubmarine operations to defend task forces from submarines, low-flying aircraft, and cruise missiles. The ship’s hull is divided into separate compartments by 13 main watertight bulkheads, that extent to the upper deck. These bulkheads ensure that buoyancy remains stable if any three adjacent compartments are flooded. The Kashin class was commissioned in 1962, and was the first class of warship to be equipped with gas turbines. The Kashin’s four gas-outlet pipes allow the gas turbines to be replaced through their access holes. It has a top speed of 37 knots.
These ships were redesignated many times. They were originally designed as guard ships (storozhevoy korabl` - SKR). But on 19 May 1966 they were reclassified as large anti-submarine ships (bol`shoy protivolodochny korabl`- BPK). On Jan 1992 the remaining unmodified ships that were still in service at this time, were redesignated guard ship (SKR).
The Russian Navy had ordered industries to produce 20 ships. 15 of them were laid down at 61 Kommunar (Nikolayev) Yard, 5 were laid down at Zhdanov Yard, Leningrad. The 20th ship was completed as an advanced project 61M. 5 other ships of project 61 were upgraded to similar project 61MP after some years of service. The modernizations included - installation of 4 launchers for SSM, new sonar "Platina" and replacement of the 2 RBU 1000 with 4 x 30mm AK 630. Also, special for Indian Navy was designed project 61ME (5 ships).
Large ASW Destroyer "Soobrazitelny": laid down 20.07.1960 at a factory of a name 61 Kommunaraand 25.09.1961 is enlisted in the lists of the Soviet naval ships. Launched 04.11.1961, commisioned 26.12.1963 and 23.11.1963 is switched on in structure of the Black Sea Fleet. During a service carried a Guards Naval flag inherited from the same destroyer of the Black Sea Fleet.
18-25.06.1964 - visit to Split (Yugoslavia);
12-15.08.1967 - in Varna (Bulgaria);
29.01-04.02.1968 - in Yugoslavia;
20-27.07.1969 - in Havana (Cuba);
In May, 1974 - in Tunis;
26-30.09.1985 - in Ireland.
01-31.06.1967 and 01.01-31.12.1968, were in a zone of military actions, carried out a battle task on rendering assistance to the armed forces of Egypt.
In the period since 01.10.1976 for 28.11.1978 has repair on Sevmorzavod in Sevastopol. 06.80.1982 is listed in structure of Northern Fleet.
01.10.1988 is removed from fleet structure, and 03.07.1992 is disarmed. In 1994 is sold to a private concern (India) for scrap.
| Specifications |
|Builder: ||61 Kommunara SY 445, Nikolayev, Ukraine |
|Year: ||1960 |
|Displacement: ||4,460 tons full load |
|Speed: ||39 knots |
|Dimensions: || 146.2 x 15.8 x 4.84 meters / 479.6 x 51.8 x 15.8 feet |
|Propulsion: ||4 M8E gas turbines, 2 shafts, 72,000 shp |
|Crew: ||266 |
|Missiles: || 2 Volna-M SAM systems (32 V-601/SA-N-1 Goa SAM) |
|Guns: ||2 x 2 76.2mm/59cal DP AK-726 |
|Aviation: ||Aft helicopter deck and hangar; no helicopter normally assigned |
|Ect. armament: ||1x5 21 inch torpedo tubes |
2 RBU-1000 ASW RL + 2 RBU-6000 ASW RL