Ship Novgorod laid down on 29 December 1871 at the New Admiralty Shipyard, Saint
Petersburg, launched on 02 June 1873, commissioned in 1874.
Sshe was relatively
effective in her designed role as a coast-defence ship. The hull was circular
to reduce draught while allowing the ship to carry much more armour and a heavier
armament than other ships of the same size. Novgorod played a minor role in the
Russo-Turkish War of 1877-78 and was reclassified as a coast-defence ironclad
The ship was decommissioned on 03 July 1903 and sold for scrap
in December 1911.
| Displacement (tons):|
8 cylindrical boilers, 6 compound-expansion steam engines, 3360 ihp (2510 kW),
belt: 178-229 mm, barbette: 178-229 mm, deck: 70 mm