The Bars-class submarines were ordered by the Imperial Russian Navy
under their 1912 construction programme. 24 boats were ordered; 12 for the Baltic
Fleet, six for the Black Sea, and six for the Siberian flotilla. The Black Sea
units were built at Nikolayev. These boats were designed by Ivan Bubnov and based
on the preceding Morzh class. They were single-hulled, but like the Morzh boats
lacked internal bulkheads.
As designed the boats were to have two 900 horsepower
electric and two diesel engines. The Black Sea boats had one 75 mm and one 37
mm gun. The torpedo armament comprised four internal 18-inch torpedo tubes and
eight external torpedoes in drop collars mounted in recessed niches low in the
The design had numerous shortcomings, including a lack of internal
bulkheads and a slow diving time. Surviving boats were modernized after the Russian
Civil War by installing bulkheads, new diesels, pumps and extra torpedo tubes
(the external drop collars were removed).
Submarine Gagara was laid down
on 29 August 1915 at the Nikolaev Naval shipyard in October 1915 and launched
on 24 September 1916, commissioned on 20 June 1917.
Seized by the Germans
in Sevastopol on 01 May 1918 as US-4. Scuttled on 26 April 1919 near Sevastopol.
| Displacement (tons):|
nmi (5 knots)|
nmi (5 knots)|
|Diving depth (m):|
|Propulsion:||2x1320 hp diesels,
2x450 hp electric motors, 2 fixed pitch propellers|
bow and 2 stren 457 mm torpedo tubes|
8 external 457 mm torpedoes in drop collars
75 mm gun
1x1 37 mm AA gun