The Whiskey class was the NATO reporting name of a class of diesel-electric
patrol submarines that were built in the Soviet Union. The Soviet designation
of this class was Project 613.
Construction of the class spanned from 1949
to 1958 and, as finalized, the boats displaced 1045 tons when surfaced and 1342
s submerged with dimensions that included a length of 76 meters, a beam of 6,3
meters, and a draught of 5 meters. A standard crew complement numbered 55 personnel.
was conventional and involved a combination diesel-electric arrangement in which
the diesel units carried the boat during surface running and the electric motors
powered the boat underwater. This required the boat to surface to charge its battery
packs and expel any built-up CO2 gas. Surfaced speeds reached 18 knots and submerged
speeds fell to 13 knots. Operational range was out to 8580 nautical miles when
surfaced and 353 miles when submerged - enough provisions were on hand to supply
the crew on 30 day long patrols. As designed, the Whiskey-class was primarily
intended for coastal patrolling though its role would expand throughout its service
In terms of armament, the Whiskey-class continued established attack
submarine tradition by being fitted with 6 x 533mm (21") torpedo tubes arranged
in four bow (forward facing) mountings and two stern (rear facing) mountings.
This allowed the frontal four tubes to be used to attack forward targets and the
pairing at the rear to engage trailing targets. Twelve torpedo reloads were carried
though this could be substituted with twenty-two naval mines as needed.
1949 and 1958 a total of 215 submarines of this type were commissioned into the
Soviet Navy. The Whiskey-class was sold to various Soviet-aligned nations including
Albania, Bulgaria, China, Egypt, Indonesia, North Korea, and Poland.
S-185 laid down 28 February 1954 at the Krasnoe Sormovo Shipyard named after A.A.
Zhdanov, Gorky (yard No.311), launched 29 June 1954, commissioned 20 December
1954 and was assigned to the Northern Fleet.
09 August 1968 she was transferred
to the Black Sea Fleet.
30 June 1970 the submarine was placed in the reserve
fleet in Odessa.
18 July 1988 the submarine S-185 was decommissioned, excluded
from the lists of the Black Sea Fleet and scrapped in Odessa.
| Displacement (tons):|
|Draught:||5 (max – 5,26)|
nmi (10 knots), 2760 nmi (18,3 knots)|
nmi (2 knots), 13,1 nmi (13,1 knots)|
|Propulsion:||2x2000 hp, diesels
37D, 2x1350 hp, electric motors PG-101, 2x50 hp, electric motors PG-103, 2 fixed
533 mm torpedo tubes (4 bow, 2 stern) - 12 53-38, 53-38U, 53-39, 53-39U, 53-39PM,
53-39PMU, 53-51, 53-56V, 53-57, 53-61, 53-65K, ET-46, ET-80, SAET-50, SAET-50M,
SAET-60M, SET-56 torpedoes or 22 AMD-1000, MDT mines – L4-2 fire control system|
1x2 57 mm SM-24ZIF (on S-61 - SM-24ZIF1) – 250 rounds (removed in 1957-58)
1x2 25 mm 2M-8 – 2000 rounds (removed in 1957-58)
RLK-101 Albatros radar complex, Flag surface radar, Anker reconnaissance radar,
Fakel-MO-1 IFF, ARP-53 radio direction finder, Tamir-5LS sonar, Mars noise detection
sonar, MG-15 Sviyaga special sonar |