Black Sea Fleet

History

Warships

Photoalbum

Command

Russian version

About site

Feedback

 
Black Sea Fleet Warships Photos in Hi-Res
 
   
 
Black Sea Fleet : Information Resource
 
 
KCHF.RU - Information Resource
 
 
   
 
All Ships
Black Sea Fleet: All Ships

Submarines

 
 
 
     
 
 
 
 Submarine S-234
Project 613 / Whiskey class submarine
 
  
 

The Whiskey class was the NATO reporting name of a class of diesel-electric patrol submarines that were built in the Soviet Union. The Soviet designation of this class was Project 613.

Construction of the class spanned from 1949 to 1958 and, as finalized, the boats displaced 1045 tons when surfaced and 1342 s submerged with dimensions that included a length of 76 meters, a beam of 6,3 meters, and a draught of 5 meters. A standard crew complement numbered 55 personnel.

Propulsion was conventional and involved a combination diesel-electric arrangement in which the diesel units carried the boat during surface running and the electric motors powered the boat underwater. This required the boat to surface to charge its battery packs and expel any built-up CO2 gas. Surfaced speeds reached 18 knots and submerged speeds fell to 13 knots. Operational range was out to 8580 nautical miles when surfaced and 353 miles when submerged - enough provisions were on hand to supply the crew on 30 day long patrols. As designed, the Whiskey-class was primarily intended for coastal patrolling though its role would expand throughout its service tenure.

In terms of armament, the Whiskey-class continued established attack submarine tradition by being fitted with 6 x 533mm (21") torpedo tubes arranged in four bow (forward facing) mountings and two stern (rear facing) mountings. This allowed the frontal four tubes to be used to attack forward targets and the pairing at the rear to engage trailing targets. Twelve torpedo reloads were carried though this could be substituted with twenty-two naval mines as needed.

Between 1949 and 1958 a total of 215 submarines of this type were commissioned into the Soviet Navy. The Whiskey-class was sold to various Soviet-aligned nations including Albania, Bulgaria, China, Egypt, Indonesia, North Korea, and Poland.

Submarine S-234 laid down 09 March 1955 at the Shipyard No.444 named after A.Marti, Nikolaev (yard No.206), launched 18 August 1955, commissioned 16 December 1955 and was assigned to the Black Sea Fleet.

19 April 1990 the submarine S-234 was decommissioned and excluded from the lists of the Black Sea Fleet and scrapped.

Specifications
Displacement (tons):
Surfaced:1045
Submerged:1342
Dimensions (m):
Length:76
Beam:6,3
Draught:5 (max 5,26)
Speed (knots):
Surfaced:18,3
Submerged: 13,1
Range:
Surfaced:8580 nmi (10 knots), 2760 nmi (18,3 knots)
Under snorkel:-
Submerged:353 nmi (2 knots), 13,1 nmi (13,1 knots)
Diving depth (m):
Operational:170
Maximum:200
Endurance (days):30
Propulsion:2x2000 hp, diesels 37D, 2x1350 hp, electric motors PG-101, 2x50 hp, electric motors PG-103, 2 fixed pitch propellers
Armament:6 533 mm torpedo tubes (4 bow, 2 stern) - 12 53-38, 53-38U, 53-39, 53-39U, 53-39PM, 53-39PMU, 53-51, 53-56V, 53-57, 53-61, 53-65K, ET-46, ET-80, SAET-50, SAET-50M, SAET-60M, SET-56 torpedoes or 22 AMD-1000, MDT mines L4-2 fire control system
1x2 57 mm SM-24ZIF (on S-61 - SM-24ZIF1) 250 rounds (removed in 1957-58)
1x2 25 mm 2M-8 2000 rounds (removed in 1957-58)
Electronics: RLK-101 Albatros radar complex, Flag surface radar, Anker reconnaissance radar, Fakel-MO-1 IFF, ARP-53 radio direction finder, Tamir-5LS sonar, Mars noise detection sonar, MG-15 Sviyaga special sonar
Complement:55 (9 officers)
 
       
Top.Mail.Ru
© KCHF.RU, 2001-2021