Project 183 was designed just after World War II. These boats were armed with
two 533 mm torpedo tubes and were used extensively by Soviet coastal forces in
the 1950s. The torpedo boat had a wooden semi-planing hull and was fitted with
radar. Over 622 MTBs were built. In 1956, the P-15 Termit missile became available
(NATO reporting name: SS-N-2 Styx). The Project 183 proved to be a natural choice
for mounting the new missiles, giving the small, fast boats great firepower for
their size. The new combination was designated Project 183R (R apparently for
raketny - rocket), the first missile boat in service anywhere in the world.
boat of the project 183R had a hangar type launchers. Under the project the boat
of the project 183R could fire rockets at speeds from 15 up to 30 knots and a
condition of the sea up to sea state 4. Reloading launchers it was made in base,
thus on one rocket it was spent about 30 minutes.
Missile boat R-14 was
built at the Shipyard No.5, Leningrad (yard No.86), commissioned 1957.
August 1965, the missile boat was excluded from the lists of the fleet and scrapped.
| Displacement (tons):|
nmi (11,8 knots), 480 nmi (26 knots), 450 nmi (27,5 knots)|
hp M-50F-4 diesels, 4 fixed pitch propellers, 1x22 kW diesel generator, 1x15 kW
diesel generator , 1x7 kW diesel generator|
launchers KT-67 (2 P-15 (4K40), P-15T anti-ship missiles) – Klyon-183Rfire control
1x2 25 mm 2M-3M – 1000 rounds
surface radar, Nikhrom IFF|